Simple Beef Chili
This easy and warming chili is the perfect addition to a cold morning, a windy afternoon, or even for those whose meal-prep needs some spice!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped (or sweet red pepper)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2-3 cups broth
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch Oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook 3-5 minutes; add in the garlic and cook another minute or so.
- Use your hands to crumble the ground beef into the pot and let the meat brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Add the poblano or sweet pepper and spices and cook another couple of minutes.
- Add the broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, maple syrup, and bay leaf to the pot, cover, and let simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Serve topped with any combination of cilantro, avocado, sour cream or Greek yogurt, cheese, etc. and enjoy!